Tuesday, March 9, 2010

“Hero Complex”

I was raised without a television in my home. Now don’t say, “aw that poor fella” it was a blessing! I read instead.....I would like to take this moment and thank my Parents and the UPCI for having set that standard for ministry in the home. Me and my brothers are indebted to you and your convictions. I still do not have one (television). I am passing on that blessing to my children.

One of my favorite things to do for entertainment was read comic books. It was a world of adventure and excitement! The characters would leap off the pages into my imagination! I would act out the heroic efforts of Superman, Aquaman, Spiderman, Batman, G.I. Joe and a host of other “Heroes”. Me and my brothers couldn’t wait to get the next month’s issue to see what happened to the Hero! Inevitably he/she, (I liked Wonder Woman as well......stop laughing..), would always arise victorious! You always pulled for the “Hero” and hated the Villain.

The fight between good and evil always intrigues the human mind. The human race has always reached for a “Hero”. What made those comic books sell and kept me and my brothers entertained for hours on end was simple, we wanted to be the “Hero”. I think everybody does on some level. It is why most eight year old boys want to be “Fire Fighters”, “Police Men” or “Soldiers” our base human nature wants to be “Heroic”. That’s why you read in the news about some stranger running into a burning building and saving somebody’s life. Human nature sees someone in need and it wants to “Help”, in essence, be the “Hero”.

I believe it is God Given! The “Hero Complex” most humans carry is a direct result of the God in who’s image we are made. He desires to be the Hero. The “Hero” who flies in and saves the day. Masked in Mercy as he fights sin and death in a grueling battle in which he, the “Hero” gives his life. But in the next issue the “Hero” rises again! This time with all Power! Disguised as a mere man, Jesus, known to us as the ultimate “Hero”! Caped in Glory as he sweeps into your marriage and defeats the “Villain” of your home. Wrestling you free from the addiction that has you bound. Rescuing us from “despair” and giving us the “Hope of Glory”!

I think that sometimes when we envision God we see him as a “Sin Grader” or “Task Master”. We think he sees our sin, shame, and failures as obstacles, when he really sees these things as opportunities ! Opportunities to be who he longs to be,
“The Hero”.

I write this today not only for the “Lost” but also for the “Saved”, who only see Jesus sitting behind the seat of judgement and not as the “Hero” of their soul.
How you “see him” is how you “live for him”.
“Live like he is your Hero”

1 comment:

  1. Just awesome! I also love your blog's design! I just started one myself for our church's website. I'm kind of new to blogging though so I'm checking out other Christian blogs to get some inspiration for design and content. Feel free to check our new blog at our church in Bellevue

    Would love to know what you think!

    ReplyDelete